West Indies news July 17, 2017

West Indies stars offered 'temporary amnesty' by board

ESPNcricinfo staff
63

Play 02:39
Archive - Hard-line selection policy to be relaxed

With West Indies in a race to qualify for the 2019 World Cup, their cricket board has offered "temporary amnesty" to the players who do not fit their selection criteria in order to have them available to play ODIs. This could pave way for the return of stars such as Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Samuel Badree as soon as next month when the team is scheduled for a tour of England, as had been earlier reported by ESPNcricinfo.

Cricket West Indies (CWI) has had a stringent policy of picking only those players who are active in the domestic one-day tournament for 50-over internationals. But, with one eye on putting the best XI on the park, the board and the West Indies Players Association have called a truce.

On September 30, the top-eight ranked teams as per the ICC will gain automatic qualification to the next World Cup. CWI chief executive Johnny Grave admitted to the possibility that West Indies - ranked ninth, 10 points below their closest rival - might not make the cut. Should that be the case, West Indies will then have to go through a 10-team qualifying tournament and unless they end up in the top two, they won't make the showpiece event in England in 2019.

"We recognise that it is highly unlikely that we will now automatically qualify for the 2019 World Cup, so whilst the qualifying tournament has yet to be confirmed by ICC, we may only have eight ODIs against England and New Zealand in the next six months to prepare," Grave said. "It is crucial that we can have our best performing Windies players available for selection in these important games."

Grave also indicated that the CWI's cricket committee was due to present their findings on player eligibility criteria by the end of July. These recommendations will then be put forward at the board of directors meeting in September. But in the meantime, "all CWI registered players will be available for selection" the press release said.

Additionally, CWI is compiling a list of all male and female and age-group players in the system. "This will show commitment on the part of the players to be available for the format/s of the game they wish to play; a commitment to participate in the regional set-up and to honour the system to be in place by then," board president Dave Cameron said. "We must be able to identify the full slate and categories of players we have in the West Indies."

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • Michael on July 19, 2017, 16:49 GMT

    Shivnarine Chanderpaul soon to be 43 years in his last 5 tests had 5 single digit scores in 9 innings and one fifty to average 17.8 but people still want him in the team anyway. Nicholas Pooran who was asked to remove his gloves because he was so poor behind the stumps is the ONLY competent keeper to represent the WI in ALL formats others say....lord have mercy. Boy ...this is life in the TROPICS.I am still awaiting word from those widely read bloggers who have difficulty UNDERSTANDING what they have read to name those players that should replace the Bajans who don't deserve to be in the squad.

  • Tracey on July 19, 2017, 13:16 GMT

    The "Administration Dynasty" is offering a "Players Amnesty". How comical! This would make a GREAT CALYPSO TOPIC.

  • harvey on July 19, 2017, 4:50 GMT

    Like we say in Trini, 'day spinnin top in mud'. Clive Lloyd after the last WC dropped the lot of them to blood a new team for this upcoming WC. How did that work out when they will not now automatically qualify. Now they go back to the old boys. As the Good Book says, "where there is no vision, the people perish'.

  • Speak on July 19, 2017, 1:33 GMT

    West Indies should give up Test cricket as Zimbabwe was asked to do some years ago.Also they should forget about ODI 50 overs completely and for us on T20 cricket only and maybe tennis ball cricket and women's cricket.West Indies won 2 World Cups in ODI 38 years ago and never looked like winning again.Since the last century they have been " turning the corner" repeatedly and have been beaten by teams like Kenya, Bangladesh, Ireland and even Afghanistan .ICC should formalisé their Associate status since the TV screens look blank without spectators attending matches played at their home ground. This is the ultimate embarrassment.

  •   Niles Searles on July 19, 2017, 1:29 GMT

    Why? Knowing it's not going to help automatic qualification why not stick with the youngsters. We hAve lost way more with the so called stars than with the ccurrent setup All those calling for Sammy or even Ramdin either don't like WI or Dinkins cricket

  • Patrick on July 18, 2017, 23:08 GMT

    Don't get me wrong. Whilst I welcome this, how can a player commit to giving 100 percent when the policy is only temporary. Unlikely that a player who performs well and contributes to WI qualifying would be dropped, but this is CWI or WICB in different clothing. Why only temporary and how hard is it to develop a permanent strategy going forward? Other boards do it and do not have these issues.

  • m.opin1594230 on July 18, 2017, 19:28 GMT

    I think captain and other non performers continuing since 1-2 years should also be offered amnesty for their non performance and be in the team.

  • detorittheanswer on July 18, 2017, 16:51 GMT

    Honestly I have given up on west indies. I used to be an avid fan but this board feels they are the attraction. So bring them back dont bring them back, my interest in west indies cricket is done.

  • michael on July 18, 2017, 14:56 GMT

    Those young players who aspire to play consistently for WI should get tested by their home territories to obtain "certification" in catching and fielding before consideration by WI selectors. Hetmeyer and Singh dropped no less than 5 between them against Pakistan. Dowrich dropped 6 in just 3 matches. Hope also dropped a few in that ODI series. Kieron Powell was terrible when he first came on the scene and does not seem to have improved much. Blackwood and Chase also put down chances. Added together this bunch must have dropped no less than 30 in their short careers. How can WI win matches with this? And the bowlers take the blame! No one should be learning to catch in WI colours.

  • Kendel3456385 on July 18, 2017, 14:01 GMT

    a welcome move. time to rid the team of these underperforming players and bring back some pride. it has been totally embarrassing to watch series after series defeats and at home. at least with the senior guys we got entertainment and a few wins as well. holder is by far the most clueless captain wi has ever had. time to rid the team of these young players averaging below 20 yet is selected. and some of you all saying they will improve. when may I ask ?? 2050??

  • No featured comments at the moment.